Official: Sydney Ashes Test is not jeopardized due to Covid rules.
The “sacred” Ashes Test in Sydney will go ahead as planned next week. Despite Covid’s threat to derail the series, New South Wales’ health minister said on Tuesday. On Monday, two members of England’s support staff and two of their family members tested positive for coronavirus and were placed in isolation at the Melbourne Test.
Despite being close contacts, the England team and management were subjected to rapid antigen test. But were allowed to proceed to the ground when the results were negative. Subsequent PCR tests for the Australian and English teams came back negative as well.
However, the rules are different in New South Wales, where Sydney is located and where infections are on the rise.
Sydney Ashes Test is not jeopardized due to Covid rules
Anyone considered a close contact in New South Wales must isolate for seven days.
That would imply that the Test would have been canceled if it had been held in Sydney, which will host the fourth Ashes Test beginning January 5.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard attempted to allay concerns that the match would be hampered by the state’s contact-tracing rules.
“The SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) Test is sacred, an important date at the beginning of our third year with Covid-19,” he said in a statement.
“I want to reassure the cricketing public that under our rules. Any players who have been exposed to a known case of Covid-19, will be asked to test and isolate only until a negative result is received.”
“If there are any cases within the teams, their support staff, or families. We will work with the people involved to ensure their safety. While causing the least amount of disruption to others.”
The fifth and final Test will be held in Hobart, which has far fewer Covid cases than Sydney.